Thursday, May 23, 2024

I recently came across a blog titled AI for Education. There are several blog posts highlighting several different topics relating to AI and how it can be used in educational environment. One notable posts discussed the effectiveness of AI detection software, that blog can be found here

Another post found on the AI for Education blog related to using an AI Chat service to solve local community problems, they called it the “Prompt-a-thon”. I thought this would be a great way to introduce AI to students of any grade level and can be incorporated into other areas of study too. It's also not just limited to solving community problems, schools can host a "Prompt-a-thon" to generate the year's school actives or themes for said actives. 

The possibilities for integrating AI into classrooms are almost limitless. I can see STEM educators getting onboard with AI while some literature arts programs may struggle with its use. The tricky part will be how to manage it, when should it be used and when should we avoid it. 


Image generated by Ideogram 1.0, Prompt: AI in education

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Tony's IT things. Vaughn Düm here. This comment is not for the purposes of earning a grade or RISE. I just wanted to comment that A.I. generated images almost always strike me with a deep sense of unease. With all generative A.I. image productions, I feel as if I am asleep and teetering between a dream and a nightmare.

    I see that Ideogram was released to the public in February of 2024. I can see why the technology has garnered praise with its low error rates and high-fidelity, highly detailed images. Yet these still seem almost TOO real. Very uncanny. For the particular image you included here, the ghostly text: STUNET, and the expressionless automaton which presides behind the preoccupied children fills me with dread. The ghostly text seems to almost spell out student, and the bot used to generate this image seems to have interpreted the prompt, "AI in education," as a reason to integrate the sleek robot-looking being into the image. The robot is there almost as if in place of a human teacher eagerly and anxiously watching students learn. However the blank stand-in within the image does not seem to share any of those human qualities.

    The bot's interpretation of your prompt is quite aggressive in its attempt to convey what it believes is a human understanding of futuristic technologies used in education. Students in the image are enraptured with a form of augmented reality. A mixture of VR headsets on their heads and AR image projections in front of them seem to try and satisfy your prompt. Their is an autonomous artificial being behind them yet there are still notebooks filled with paper in front of the scene.

    If this is the bot's "understanding" of what an image conveying AI use in education looks like, it is quite the sensational, generically-futuristic, and uncanny one. I would honestly love to hear your in depth thoughts and opinions on this generated image. As you supplied the prompt to Ideogram's bot that generated this image for you, insight into what you agree or disagree with me on here is of great interest to me.

    ReplyDelete

Reviewing Thinglink

For my final post I will be reviewing Thinglink. It is a tool to easily create multimedia interactive learning materials that are accessible...