Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Chatting with ChatGPT

 Hi all,


This week we will be checking out ChatGPT-4o. I have spent a little bit of time playing with the old Chat GPT 3.5 and I always had fun asking it silly things but I never found it polished enough to trust it to do any serious tasks. One thing I always enjoyed with Chat GPT was asking it to make me a weekly meal plan, then ask it to create a shopping list for the ingredients. 

Be specific 

To get the most of of any generative chatbot you need to be specific about what you want. For example if you put in your prompt "Make me a meal plan" then ChatGPT asks some follow up questions. 


If you ask a more specific question such as "Make me a weeks dinner plan with no tomatoes or mushrooms" then we will get a weeks worth of dinners with side dishes and an ingredients list!


Ask follow up questions

The coolest part of ChatGPT is asking follow up questions and it actually being able to understand that it's a continuation of a previous response. Lets see if we can add some desert suggestions for our planned dinners this week. I presented the following prompt "Can you suggest a dessert pairing for each meal?" and it did indeed suggest some great dessert pairings!

Request formatting

You can also ask that your responses be formatted however you would like. Do you need bullet points or a table? Just ask! I think we need a shopping list for all of these delicious meals we are about to make. I added the prompt of "Can you make me a shopping list for the meals and desserts grouped by each dish? " ChatGPT has no problem creating us a nice shopping list!


I hope this has been a good introduction into ChatGPT and how you can utilize effective prompts to get your desired output. As always if you feel like you are not getting the result you want try rephrasing the question or breaking down the question into smaller bite-sized questions.


1 comment:

  1. Using AI to help with this task is a great idea! I know people who use it similarly, but they will add something about including certain ingredients since they need to use them up. Give me three meal ideas that incorporate ingredients such as potatoes and bananas.
    Using technology for something like this is a great way to take something off the task list, and it helps reduce waste, too.

    Another fun prompt I’ve used that has been fun with ChatGPT is planning trips or vacations.  We’re heading to the Oregon coast, and I haven’t been there in years. I used the same tactics you mentioned about being specific and asking follow-up questions to get additional ideas on things to do, restaurants, and any places to visit along the way. Of course, the results provided are a starting point, but it was nice to have some ideas to look at before making any plans in a world of information overload.

    ReplyDelete

Reviewing Thinglink

For my final post I will be reviewing Thinglink. It is a tool to easily create multimedia interactive learning materials that are accessible...